Monday, June 16, 2014

Race Recap - Run 2 Save Our Youth 2014

Race: Run 2 Save Our Youth 2014
Size: Probably under 350
Race Distance: 10k
Time: 1:35:40


I've been doing this particular race for 7 years now. It's a race put on by the Livonia Save Our Youth Task Force, which was started by a friend of mine who lost their son to a heroin overdose. We do it in memory of him. This was the first year I did the 10k.

On-site packet pick up was organized and quick and although I didn't use the on-site registration, there were two people manning the table and seemed to be well organized. The course was great, there were signs for each mile, people to let you know when the turn arounds were and three water station for the 10kers and two for the 5kers. Everyone manning the water stations were very supportive and helped keep you motivated. The course was shut down to cars but due to the location, did allow for bikers to be on the course along with us. It wasn't an issue for me, as I always fun on the edge of the road anyway because I am slow and hate to get in the way. The race coordinators were great about keeping all of the water stations open and available until every racer has crossed the finish line and the volunteers stayed until the very end (and I'll tell you how I know this below).

Pre and post race food consisted of bagels, hot dogs, chips, soda, water, bananas, pears, and other goodies. I partook in a hot dog and banana, and both were top notch ;)

New this year were 10k finisher medals and although they were not as high of quality as other races I have done, for the cost of the race, the medals were really nice. All racers also got a t-shirt and this year I thought the shirts were nicer than previous years. They also offer tech shirts for $5 extra but I did not take advantage of that.

Now for the personal assessment - This was my 3rd 10k I've done, the previous ones being in November and May. I started off really strong on this race, with my first mile at about a 13:30 pace (which is basically Kenyan for me). Unfortunately, because I started off so strong, I quickly slowed down. As I was running, I started to notice that more and more people were passing me, and by mile 3, one of my worst fears happened, I looked back, and saw not ONE person behind me. I kept doing my intervals realizing that I was dead.last. All these bad thoughts started going through my head, "what if the water stations close", "what is there is no more water" "what is they start taking down the finish line before I get there" "what if they run out of finisher's medals" "what if I fall down and no one is out here to notice". But I just kept going, plugging along. At the turn around, there was plenty of water and lots of volunteers still at the table, cheering me along, telling me to keep going, letting me know what a great job I was doing. At around mile 4, one of the race coordinators pulled up near me on a bike, and let me know that I was, in fact, the last 10ker on the course. It was disheartening but he said "you are doing great, I'm going to keep coming around checking on you, making sure your doing okay". He was always near me, picking up the signs from the course, letting the volunteers know they could leave, but NEVER, EVER before I passed them. I hit mile 5 and the water station and there was still plenty of water and volunteers there to help me stay motivated. Another race coordinator came by on a bike and let me know I was getting near the end and to keep going, I was doing great. Never did I feel like they were annoyed I was still on the course, never did I feel pressured to hurry up and get done (by anyone but myself) and I always felt supported. Finally, I saw the finish line, it was still up, there were still volunteers standing there with water and medals, and the race timers were still there. They hadn't torn down before I got there, they were waiting for me, the final 10ker, the final person who had the guts to do a 10k. But most importantly, my three best friends were waiting for me, Jen, Janell, and my boyfriend Jason. They cheered me in, told me how great I was doing, and helped me cross that finish line. I crossed the finish line, got a medal put around my neck, a water bottle put in my hand, and basically fell into my boyfriends arms. And than...the tears came. Tears of pride for finishing, of embarrassment for finishing last, of a little pain from my left knee, of gratefulness to the race for not closing down without me. It was a whirlwind of emotions. I even got my besties crying, and one of them NEVER cries.


Overall it was a great race, I'm getting over the fact I came in last place overall and embracing that I pr'ed my time (my last 10k was 1:36:12). Later in the evening, when official times were put online, I found out through two friends, that due to the size of the race, I had actually gotten 3rd place in my age group for Females. Sure, there were only three of us total, but it kind of felt like a "it's okay you came in last, you still finished the race." My medal will be mailed to me, since I never even thought to check the board of age groups.

Here I am post race and post hot dog :) My boyfriend told me no more tears so instead, I smiled huge, and showed my medal proud. Because a year ago, I would never have even thought of doing a 10k. Here's to progress, being humbled, and being proud!





No comments:

Post a Comment