Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Race Recap: Escape to Belle Isle 5k

Race: Escape to Belle Isle 
Size: Around 350
Race Distance: 10k 5k
Time: 45:07


Another race on Belle Isle, it's a perfect place to run. The scenery is great and the course is nice and flat. 

This was my first time doing this race but it's in it's 6th year. When I registered, I registered for the 10k. I hadn't run a 5k since last September (I've been trying to keep my distances up), but earlier in the week I came down with some stomach issues, and instead of cancelling all together, I figured I'd just do the shorter distance. I emailed the race coordinator and they switched it over for me with no problem. 

On-site packet pick up was fine for me personally, as I don't mind a line, especially one that moves quickly, however, there was in fact a line, 1 for the 5kers and 1 for the 10kers. But I got through the line in about 5 minutes, so I didn't consider it an issue. The race started about 5 minutes late, but again, not an issue for me personally. All racers started at the same time and there was an hour and a half limit for both the 5 and 10kers. In a lot of ways, I am happy I changed to the 5k, because my 10k is JUST at the limit and I'd hate to be late. 

On the 5k route there were two water stations, but I brought my hydration belt so I didn't partake. The course was clearly marked and had pace cars going around so everyone knew where to go. The on-site volunteers were supportive and positive, with one even dancing for us. As you crossed the finish line, they were calling out your bib numbers, which was different; whenever I've been at a race where they called out, it's always been my name. 

Post-race food was the usual, bananas, bagels, oranges, water. They also had some apple and orange juice and I THINK I saw some McDonalds sandwiches (the race benefited the Ronald McDonald house). 

All racers received a finisher's medal and they were of really nice quality plus everyone received a Tech T, and although the color was a little bright for me, the quality of the shirt was nice.

For more information on the race - you can visit their website at - http://www.escapetobelleisle.com/ 


No comments:

Post a Comment