Wednesday, July 30, 2014

My Journey to a Half

A half marathon, 13.1 miles, 69217.5 feet. 

My journey started nearly a year ago when I decided I was going to do a triathlon. The thought popped into my head one day and BOOM, I was going to do it. I started running, biking and swimming. I started working on transitions between biking and running, and started to plan out where I could practice open swims.

and than, something happened. I fell in <3 with running. Forget the damn biking and swimming, I wanted to RUN! And just like that, the dream of a triathlon went by the wayside, and a new dream emerged, one that, even to me, was insane. I wanted to run a half marathon. Up until that point (around August/September 2013) my furthest distance was a 5k. But, screw it, I was going to do it! 

I signed up for my very first 10k, which took place in November 2013. I decided when that was over, my half training would begin. I knew what half I wanted to do, and I was ready. 

My 10k went as good as could be expected and now I was ready to train. I picked a Jeff Galloway training program and got to work. My goal was to complete the plan twice, as my half wasn't until October of 2014. And off I went, 3 miles, than 4 miles, than 5 miles, 6,7,8 miles. I was on a role, I ran outdoors in the cold and snow and when it got too icy, I headed indoors to the gym. Than the day came, March 8th to be exact, I ran 10 miles. 10 whole freaking miles. I was a champ! If I could do this, I could do anything.

And than.......I hit a wall. After my 10 mile run, my knee started acting up, so I started to slow it down. Than, before I knew it, I fell off my plan completely. I was still running but by no means keeping up with my program. 

Which brings me to now...since March I have done the Fight for Air Climb, a 10k in May, a 10k in June, and a 5k in July. But, I have been sticking to no sort of plan. I got lazy. Really lazy. But, I haven't given up.

This previous Sunday marked 12 weeks until my half. Only 12 weeks before I cross that finish line and become a half marathoner. *Cue slight freak out*

But not to worry, I have a new training program and LOTS of support from friends and family. This half marathon will be my bitch! I'm two days down and ready to prove that I can do this, if for no one else, myself. I have it in me, I know I do.



No comments:

Post a Comment