Monday, September 15, 2014

It's The Final Countdown!

(Don't pretend you didn't sing my title.....cause I know you did.)

Yes, the final countdown. I have less than 35 days until my very first half marathon. And although I have a little over a month, I am already thinking of what it will feel like to cross that finish line, to finally be a half marathoner, to have proven to myself (and others) that a morbidly obese person can do a half marathon.

As I eagerly count down the miles (75.1) until the big day, I also, as odd as it sounds, am trying to cherish them. I want to cherish the time before the big day, cherish those good (and bad!) runs, cherish the rest days. Why? Because this experience has taught me so much about myself.

I Don't Give Up - My training started way back in January, and I had planned to do two full plans before the big day. But I completely and utterly burned myself out from January to March. I was only averaging about 25 miles a month those three months, but I was on a treadmill, I was indoors, I wasn't eating enough, and it was hard. My last long run was in March, 10 miles, on a treadmill. I watched Grease all the way through and still had time left. It was sooo mentally draining. From April to July, I averaged 14 miles a month........14 miles. I could have quit completely, ate the run cost and moved along. But I didn't. Instead, I put on my big girl panties, found a 12 week training program, and got to work. I had a half marathon to do, I wasn't going to settle for anything less. Last month I ran 40.6 miles, which is only 15.6 less than I had ran April through July. I got back on that horse in a big bad way.

My Heart Is Stronger Than My Head - I struggle with negative thoughts, doubt, & lack of self confidence. About every other run I do, my doubts start, I tell myself I probably won't be able to do it, I'll probably exceed the time limit, I'll probably pass out half way through. But, than, my heart takes over, and my next run I get out there and believe in myself. In my heart I know I was meant to do this. Sometimes I just have to remember to tell my head that.

I Am Stronger Than I Thought -
This quote sums up my experience. Before I started this, I could have never believed I could run 7 miles in a row, or 8, or even 4. The old me "couldn't" run, "couldn't" stick with a training plan, "couldn't" run more than 30 seconds at a time, or more than a quarter mile. But the new me can. I can run for more than 30 seconds, I can run more than a quarter mile, I can run 7 miles in a row, and I can turn my dreams into a plans.



No comments:

Post a Comment